(139)The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Perks of Being A Wallflower is one of those books that I saw over and over at the bookstore. I never had any desire to read it until one day last week it just struck me as one of those books that I needed to read. I had no expectations going in to it, but I was really very pleased.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is written in letter form. Fifteen year old Charlie is starting his first year of high school and writes almost daily to his Friend. We never learn who his Friend is, but we learn a LOT about Charlie's life. We learn about his struggles with making friends and once he does make friends, the struggles that they have.

The fact that it is hard being a teen is something we should never forget. Especially those with teens. It is hard, it is extremely high pressured, and at times it is very very ugly.

Stephen Chbosky did a phenomenal job writing about being a teen. It is very reminiscent of a John Hughes film. I can understand it's popularity amongst teens and adults alike. But read with caution if subjects such as teen suicide, teen drug use, gay sex, to name a few, are a "hot button issues" for you. The subjects are written for teens to relate to, although some of us non-teens may have forgotten how tough those subjects really are for the young adults in our lives.
Pam said...

I am going to check this book out for my son to read. He just started high school and am sure he can relate. I may read it first though.:-) Thanks for sharing!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.