(148)Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Thursday, October 21, 2010

I am so disappointed in the buyers are Barnes & Noble who selected Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter as their fall B&N Recommends Title. These are the same people who chose such incredible titles such as The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Thirteenth Tale. Let me assure you that Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter is nowhere near the caliber of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter is set in the deep south. It alternates between past and present. In a land that time forgot. Back then Larry & Silas were boys playing in the woods. Color meant nothing to them. Today Silas is a police officer and Larry is the man many believe killed a young girl all those years ago.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter gets a bit predictable. Okay, it gets a lot predictable. And that is when I started to check out. I knew "whodunit" and was not surprised when it was revealed. The only thing that remotely held my interest was the relationship between Silas & Larry. It was a unique relationship discouraged by both sets of parents. But they were just boys and they both just wanted someone to pal around with. But even their relationship became predictable in the chapters set in the present.

Overall I was completely underwhelmed by this book. Which is so disappointing given what I have come to expect from the B&N Recommends selections.
lovemyspy said...

I just finished this book and I agree with you, disappointing.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.