(137)You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl by Celia Rivenbark

Friday, August 26, 2011

You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl

Published: August 16, 2011
288 pages


I did it again. I bought a book just because Jen Lancaster said it was funny. For the most part I take what Jen Lancaster says as gospel when it comes to defining funny. I would say she missed the mark with this one.

I had never heard of Celia Rivenbark before, but then I pulled up her website and recognized several of the covers of her books. They are books you find in the "Humor" section at Barnes & Noble. You Don't Sweat Much for A Fat Girl is really a compilation of essays that cover topics ranging from Barbie's 50th birthday to Octomom and other "famous" people on TLC. I won't say that I laughed out loud, but I did chuckle a few
times. I could have certainly done without the Republican Bashing. But hey, isn't that what all "funny" writers do these days?

Celia Rivenbark is known as a "Southern" writer, so there are a lot of Southern references that a Yankee like me find only mildly amusing. Bottom line, she just didn't tickle my funny bone like I was hoping. Was it worth the read, you ask? I guess. But I probably won't seek out other books of hers to read in the future. Have you read Celia Rivenbark before? What do you think of her books?

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.