(144)Little Black Dress by Susan McBride

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

 Little Black Dress

Publication Date: August 23, 2011
320 Pages


Don't all women believe in the power of a "Little Black Dress"?

Antonia Ashton is ready for her life to truly begin.  She has a very successful business planning weddings and other events and now she is ready to plan her own wedding.   She has been dating Greg for almost two years, so when he invites her to dinner under the guise of "having to ask her a question" she believes that it is finally her time.  Sadly, he just asks her to move in with him and HIS celebration is interrupted when Toni receives a phone call saying that her mother has had a stroke.

Toni rushes to the tiny Missouri town where she grew up to be by her mother's side.  She is in a medically induced coma and there is nothing for Toni to do but wait.  While she waits she starts to go through her Mother's house and finds things of the past that indicate a special "Little Black Dress" had something to do with the fate of her family.  Will she be able to solve the mysteries of the past  and will what she finds help her Mother heal?

I really wanted to like Little Black Dress.  I loved the fact that it is set in Missouri and I fell in love with the Victorian house that plays a prominent role in the story, but overall I can't really say that I liked this book.  It just didn't have that flow that kept me dying to know what happens next, it was almost disjointed and the end seemed to be forced.  One minute Toni is with Greg and then she is moving in full time and getting married to someone else.  It left me scratching my head.  I hate books that do that to the reader!

If you have read Little Black Dress, please weigh in, I would love to know what you thought.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.