(173) The Very Picture of You by Isabel Wolff

Saturday, November 12, 2011


The Very Picture of You 

Publication Date: October 4, 2011
Pages : 336


I need to apologize to you, my readers, for my absence over the last couple of weeks.  I have been participating in my very first National Novel Writing Month and it has been sucking up all of my reading time. I was able to finish reading the newest book by Isabel Wolff, and it was enjoyable.

The Very Picture of You is a story about Ella, an artist specializing in portraits. She has several interesting clients, including the beautiful wife of a wealthy man, an elderly lady nearing the end of her life, and a politician busy with elections.  But she agrees to paint the portrait of her sister's new fiance, Nate.  A man that Ella strongly disapproves of because of a phone conversation she overheard on the night they first met.  But painting a portrait can be a very intimate thing and as the days go on, Ella starts to truly  get to know Nate and the feelings that she starts to develop are not the kind of feelings a woman should have for her future brother-in-law.  Will she be able to standby and watch the man she loves marry her sister?

The Very Picture of You is one of those darling novels set in the UK.  And you all know how much I adore books set in the UK. Ella is a wonderful character and I think the author did a fabulous job of setting up Ella's back-story, especially the relationship between her Mother & Father.  I will say it was a bit predictable, but I enjoyed the characters so much that I really did not care.  Overall a well told story and a great way to pass a rainy afternoon.
Sara Lucinda Bell said...

Oh congrats, I've been doing NaNoWriMo this month too! I've gotten a little behind because of some craziness today and yesterday, but no more events tonight or tomorrow so I think I can get caught back up. =]

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.