(1)Journal of Best Practices by David Finch

Thursday, January 5, 2012


The Journal of Best Practices

Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Pages: 240


I think that we can thank Dr. Sheldon Cooper for making Asperger Syndrome a much more accepted way of life.  We all watch the hit television show, The Big Bang Theory, (and if you don't you should) and laugh at Sheldon's rigid antics.  From his famous "Roommate Agreement" to having his spot on the couch Sheldon displays traits of the syndrome that is becoming more and more common among today's youngsters and even some adults.  But it is not always laughter and fun when you are living with someone with Aspergers.  Just ask Leonard.

David Finch was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome as an adult after his wife made him answer questions on a form she got off of the internet.  That questionnaire led to an actual diagnosis and the beginning of David's attempt to be a better husband and father.  He started keeping a Journal of Best Practices.  Observations of Kristen's reactions to his behavior and things she would get angry about, with the hopes of not repeating bad behaviors and helping strengthen their marriage.  There are many things that made his "Best Practice" list that would do well on any Husband's list whether they are on the spectrum or not. Like getting all of the laundry out of the dryer and not just picking your stuff out.  Or watching the children so your wife can take an uninterrupted shower.  Oh and comparing your working wife's motherly duties to the Stay At Home Mom next door neighbor is NEVER a good idea.  In the end the  diagnosis made life easier for both Kristen and David, they knew what they were up against and both made extra efforts to make their marriage work.  Quite admirable in any marriage, I think.

Please don't think I am making light of people with Asperger's, diagnosed or not, with my Big Bang Theory reference. I am not.  I know there are varying degrees of the syndrome, but I think there are more people out there with Asperger traits than we realize.  To the relief of many parents, what was once just "quirky" and "difficult" now has a name and various types of therapy.  Personally, I recognized a lot of my husband's "quirks" in David Finch's book, and found myself chuckling at the comparisons I made in my head.  One chapter is titled "Use Your Words" - and that is a phrase that gets used almost daily at my house.  But just like Kristen loves her David, quirks and all.  I love my David, quirks and all.

The Journal of Best Practices is a great look at the inside mind of an adult who has Aspergers Syndrome. But not just that, it is a great read for those who have a loved one with the diagnosis.  It *is* possible to  lead a happy, healthy, somewhat normal life.  That reassuring reason alone is justification for you to pick up this book.   Let me know what you think!

Pam said...

I would love to read this book! Thanks for sharing!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.