(123)Beneath the Glitter by Elle & Blair Fowler

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Beneath the Glitter 

Publication Date: September 4,  2012
Pages: 288


I am not a "glitter" kind of girl.  I have always worked with the philosophy of "what you see is what you get."  I don't wear hardly any makeup and when I do, I get it from Wal-Mart.  And clothes?  Well the last clothes I bought came from the thrift store, so I am clearly not the target demographic here.  Now, I don't go out of the house looking like a slob, but I would rather spend my money on books than designer labels.  Having said that, I ventured into Beneath the Glitter with some trepidation. 

Beneath the Glitter is written by two sisters and is about two sisters.  Ava and Sophie are YouTube stars who have recently moved from the deep South to Los Angeles with the hopes of maximizing the exposure to their vlog, where they give beauty, fashion, and make-up tips.  It takes some time to adjust to a life where they run into their childhood crushes and run around with the offspring of billionaires.  They think that their dreams have come true when they are offered their own line of cosmetics, but that seems to be when the trouble starts.  They each have a couple of men in their lives that could either help them or hurt them.  They are struggling to remain "normal" and maintain their relationship with each other all the while they try to make their business work.  Will they find the happiness that they crave and will they find the right guys to share that happiness?  Or will the very essence of Hollywood destroy not only what they have worked for, but their bond as well?

For not really being a girly girl or having even heard of Blair and Elle before this book,  I really enjoyed Beneath the Glitter.  For the most part. I liked Ava and Sophie, they seemed really down to earth and were just trying to make it big in a city notorious eating up people and spitting them out.  I really enjoyed watching their relationship grow through the tribulation that comes with success.  I even enjoyed watching them each interact with the different men in their lives, admittedly I liked a couple more than others. (Team Dalton all the way!!)  My issue comes from the end of the book.  It was a serious WTF moment for me that I hope gets resolved before publication.  The Epilogue left me completely confused because it was really vague and that could be because it was setting up for a sequel, but the vagueness of the identity of the "bad guys" coupled with the randomness of the "bad thing that happened," really left me feeling disappointed. (Sorry I was intentionally vague to avoid spoilers)  I thought my copy was damaged or something because I literally thought "there has to be more."   Clear up that ending & I could easily be convinced to hand sell this book to anyone & everyone, but as is, my recommendation comes with a warning. 

Bottom line, between football games this weekend (see, told you I wasn't girly girl)  I was able to carve out a few hours to read Beneath the Glitter. And while I do not regret having read the book, the ending left me pissed rather than eagerly awaiting the sequel (if that was what they were going for).  I would really love to hear from some of you who have read the book - let me know if you think I am off base with my review.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.