(3)The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

Sunday, January 11, 2015


Don Tillman and his bride, Rosie are back.  They are ten months into their marriage and living in New York City.  Don is a visiting genetics professor at Columbia and Rosie is going to school for both her Phd. and Md. They are also both working a part-
time gig at a local bar. They are busy, but they  have settled into marriage.   They still encounter bumps in the road given Don's quirky demeanor, but Don is trying hard to make things easy for Rosie.   But then  Rosie drops a bombshell, she is pregnant. They have never discussed children, but there is no turning back now.  Don embraces this piece of information as he does with all new experiences, he sets out to research it to death.  From reading What to Expect When You Are Expecting to doing research at a nearby park(it did not end well), Don is committed to doing what he needs to do for Rosie and their BUD (baby under development).   He just forgets to tell Rosie that he is all in and his lack of communication may cause him to lose her and the baby forever.


I find myself very fond of Don Tillman and I can empathize with Rosie in so many ways.  Many of Don's mannerisms remind me of my husband in that geeky, anti-social sort of way.  This line reminding me of my husband: "My love for Rosie was so powerful that it had caused my brain to make a grammatical error." I laughed out loud, because I understand that for Don, making errors never happen. If nothing else about Don is made clear, let this be known, he is a man who loves his wife and shows that love in a million different ways, even if he doesn't say it.  There were several times throughout The Rosie Project that I found myself chuckling out loud. His arrest at the park, his interaction with the Air Marshall, his participation with the Lesbian Mothers project.  All were funny, awkward, and definitely Don Tillman. Thanks to my husband I am very much a fan of all things geek and in the last few years it has become obvious that the geeks shall inherit the earth.

Bottom line, The Rosie Effect  was about as perfect as it gets for sequels.  Don, Rosie, and their collection of friends return in the fun, yet quirky sequel to the tale that captured our hearts last year.  Be sure to pick up The Rosie Effect and catch up with your friends.

Details:
  • The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
  • Pages:352
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster
  • Publication Date: December 30. 2014

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.