(5) Romance is My Day Job by Patience Bloom

Sunday, January 18, 2015


For as long as she can remember Patience Smith has had a fondness for romance.  She got sucked into Harlequin romance novels from a young age and thought that her life would play out just like one of her romance novels.  When will the billionaire boss notice how beautiful she is while at work and sweep her off her feet?  Patience even gets a temp job after college because that is what all the heroines do in the romance novels.   She pursues her quest for romance in Ohio, France, and New Mexico before finally finding her way to New York City where Patience seeks out a job in publishing.  After a brief stint with Simon & Schuster Patience lands the "Holy Grail" of jobs. An assistant editor at Harlequin.  As an assistant editor she has unlimited access to all the romance novels she can possibly devour, yet she has still to meet "The One."   Not that she hasn't tried, signing up for every dating site she can find online.  Bur it is a Facebook request from an old high school friend that sparks Patience to believe that she may have found true love.  Will Patience find her "Happy Ever After?"

When I was a kid I wanted to be a writer when I grew up.  Then I thought that maybe I don't have the skill to be a writer, not a good writer anyway.  So then I decided I wanted to be an editor, that way I could read all the books I wanted.  Instead of becoming an editor, I became a blogger and have more books than I can possibly read in a lifetime.   I felt a real kinship with Patience for many reasons.  My grandmother (may she rest in peace) kept me stocked with an endless supply of Harlequin romance novels.  Which led me to find all of the trashy romance novels that I could find.  Patience also had a love for all the movies I loved.   She mentions them throughout her novel, Pride & Prejudice, Pretty Woman,  and Sex and the City to name a few.  All of the references to the movies and books made Romance is My Day Job a fun read.  Even her experience with online dating was something I could relate to, really what woman in their thirties hasn't dated online?

Bottom line, Romance is My Day Job is a book that will likely resonate with a lot of women.  What woman doesn't love a good romantic novel where the heroine is seeking out true love?  Be sure to check out Patience's story.

Details:
  • Romance is My Day Job by Patience Bloom
  • On Facebook
  • Pages: 320
  • Publication Date: February 6, 2014
  • Publisher: Penguin Group USA
  • Buy it Here!



Lisa Mandina said...

I enjoyed this one as well! It was fun reading all about how her search for working in publishing went. Great review!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.