(59)Fat Girl Walking by Brittany Gibbons

Tuesday, July 21, 2015


Brittany Gibbons is a wife, a mother, a blogger, and a fat girl.  She has become an internet sensation with her level of  uninhibited comfort in her own skin.  In her new book, Fat Girl Walking: Sex, Food, Love and Being Comfortable in Your Skin...Every Inch of It Brittany shares what it was like growing up as a fat girl.  She talks about her early childhood and teen years being overweight through all of those years.  She did have a boyfriend (who she went on to marry) and a very active social life, but she always felt a little on the outside because of her weight.  Brittany also talks about her relationship with her family, friends, the opposite sex,  and the crippling anxiety that nearly turned her into an agoraphobic while in college.   Then Brittany got married and had babies, started a blog, stripped on stage at TedX, and wrote a book.

I had never heard of Brittany Gibbons before buying this book.  The title of the book appealed to me as a fellow fat girl and I wanted to see what she had to say.  I wanted to see if her experiences have been anything like mine.  In broad generalities, maybe, but Brittany's experiences are definitely her own.   Brittany definitely has a level of self-confidence that is often lacking in overweight women, at times myself included.  Though, that kind empowerment is often needed to help overweight women become a little more comfortable in their own skin.  I admire Brittany's fearlessness when it comes to displaying her body on the internet.  I am not sure I would have that confidence even if I were a size 10. I admire anybody that has the balls to give a Ted Talk and to strip on stage takes it to a whole different level. I will say that there were several times Brittany comes across as really crass. Using language that some of you might find offensive and discussing stuff that would make even the most open-minded person cringe.   After checking out Brittany's website I realize that is just her personality and likely what attracts many of her thousands of followers.  And I say more power to her - just be aware.

Bottom line -  While Brittany Gibbons may come across a bit brash she has an important message that millions of women need to hear.  Her ability to be comfortable in her own skin is something that all women, fat or skinny, could learn from.

Details:

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.